Bunny lines, sometimes called ‘nose wrinkles’ are vertical and diagonal creases that occur on the bridge of the nose and on each side of the nose as a result of frequent nasalis muscle contractions during squinting and smiling. Bunny lines are not present on everyone and are not generally hated, although they are disliked by certain people who choose to treat them.
Nose wrinkles or bunny lines, like other expression lines, are created by repeated facial movements in the region, such as wrinkling your nose. They can also appear as a result of having too much Botox in the area between your brows.
As already mentioned, there are two types of bunny lines or nose wrinkles-
- Natural: As a result of age and repeated facial movements.
- Botox-induced: Too much or frequent botox treatment can result in bunny lines formation.
There are no OTC treatments available for curing bunny lines but anti-wrinkle skincare products might help reduce the appearance of bunny lines or nose wrinkles. Proper treatment for bunny lines is mostly surgical and can only be practiced by a certified dermatologist or a plastic surgeon. Some popular cosmetic treatments for bunny lines include neuromodulators such as Botox, Dysport, Xeomin, or dermal fillers, such as Belotero or Restylane. Ironically these treatments can induce as well as worsen the appearance of bunny lines in the long run.
Well, bunny lines aren’t a skin condition so there are no specific ingredients that can cure it. But being on the safer side, one can use hydrating ingredients like hyaluronic acid as it attracts and holds onto water molecules, maintaining skin hydration along with peptides as they have been demonstrated to improve skin texture and wrinkles by stimulating collagen formation and retinoids as they increase the proliferation, maturation, and turnover of skin cells to treat wrinkles which might help reduce the appearance of bunny lines. But there is basically no proven OTC treatment for bunny lines. Apart from all this, wrinkles can also result from UV exposure and hence, wearing a high-quality sunscreen is a prerequisite when it comes to skincare.
Bunny lines are mostly natural but wrinkles can also make bunny lines appear worse, so the following ingredients shall be avoided to help keep wrinkles at bay-
- Sulfates such as sodium laureth sulfate and sodium lauryl sulfate are harsh, abrasive, and drying substances that are commonly found in cleansers, body washes, and shampoos. They irritate and erode the skin, causing it to become more dry and prone to fine lines and wrinkles. Sulfates have really been proven to age the skin in studies.
- Mineral oils are generated from petroleum and form a film on the skin, clogging pores and inhibiting the skin’s natural cleaning function. If used for an extended period of time, it might cause acne and irritate and inflame the skin. As a result, fine lines and wrinkles become more visible, giving the appearance of aging.
- Certain alcohols like SD alcohol, ethanol, methanol, benzyl alcohol, isopropyl alcohol, and ethyl alcohol can lead to premature aging and irritation.
- Ammonia compounds such as DEA, MEA, TEA can also produce an overall aging effect.
The following tips might help in the prevention of bunny lines or nose wrinkles-
- Keep your face relaxed- Bunny lines are a result of repeated facial movements and hence, one must avoid scrunching their nose. Try to keep your facial muscles as relaxed as possible.
- Avoid invasive cosmetic treatments- Extensive cosmic treatments like thread lifts and botox can irreparably damage your skin and should be avoided unless extremely necessary.
- Avoid UV exposure- UV rays are the skin’s nightmare. Not only prolonged exposure to the sun can cause skin cancer but also age your skin and irreparably damage it, giving it a wrinkled appearance.
- People with dry, itchy and flaky skin are more prone to wrinkles and therefore also more prone to nose wrinkles.
- Prolonged UV exposure can permanently damage the skin, resulting in wrinkles.
- People going through frequent cosmetic treatments like botox injections and filler are very likely to develop bunny lines.
- Scrunching your face too much and too often can also result in the formation of bunny lines.
There are no OTC treatments available for bunny lines but soothing wrinkles might help improve the appearance of bunny lines. Deconstruct offers a wide range of anti-wrinkling products. These are listed below-
- Deconstruct Retinol and Peptide Serum– Deconstruct Retinol and Peptide Serum has 0.2% Retinol and 5% Peptide that increase the cell turnover rate and fights fine lines and wrinkles. This serum also helps in tackling acne, dark spots, and pigmentation thus giving even-toned skin.
- Deconstruct Hydrating serum with 2% Hyaluronic Acid + 1% Niacinamide– This unique serum combines two of the best ingredients for dry skin. With 2% Hyaluronic Acid and 1% Niacinamide, the serum has a mild formula that will be well tolerated by all skin types alike. It hydrates while repairing the skin barrier.
- Deconstruct NMF Hydrating Moisturizer– NMF skin cream is a lightweight daily gel moisturizer that hydrates, nourishes and calms skin. Enriched with Natural Moisturizing Factor Complex (NMF) that mimics the skin’s natural NMF, helps to maintain adequate hydration in the barrier, without giving the oily feel and strengthens the skin barrier.
Bunny lines are not a skin condition but many people might find it unattractive and hence choose to treat it. There is no OTc treatment available for bunny lines but following an anti-wrinkle skincare regimen might improve its appearance. Although botox is deemed as a solution to bunny lines, it’s also the leading cause of bunny lines and hence you should be mindful of invasive cosmetic surgeries. In the hindsight, bunny lines are absolutely natural and some might even find them endearing!
- Are bunny lines treatable?
Well, bunny lines can’t be treated with OTC treatments but cosmetic surgeries like botox injection might provide temporary relief.
- Is bunny lines a disease?
No! Bunny lines are absolutely normal and can be a part of the natural aging process.
- Are bunny lines the same as wrinkles?
Bunny lines are nose wrinkles but are more complicated than normal wrinkles as they aren’t the result of skin loosening.