Men have always kept things simple when it comes to skin maintenance. More men are chasing healthier, younger-looking skin than ever before, making it an excellent moment for men to assess their skincare routine and learn more about how to care for their body’s biggest organ. Although men’s and women’s skin varies in fundamental ways like men’s skin is thicker than women’s but the essential aspects of a good skincare regimen remain the same for both sexes. Here are some skincare tips and routine to get clear skin for men:
- Wash your face in the morning and at night.
- Cleanse your face after a workout or after a tired day to get rid of all the accumulated dirt, sweat and oil.
- Keep your skin hydrated by applying high-quality moisturizers.
- Always wear sunscreen over SPF 30 to keep yourself safe from UV damage.
- Identify your skin type to better understand its needs. (There are roughly six skin types: Sensitive skin may sting or burn after product use; Normal skin is clear and not sensitive; Dry skin is flaky, itchy or rough; Oily skin is shiny and greasy; Combination skin is dry in some areas and oily in others)
- Always shave after softening your hair with warm water or shaving creams to prevent shave burns and always use good quality razors/ blades.
- Wash and change your pillow cover and bed sheets often.
- Be mindful of the changes in your skin.
- Use different towels to wipe your face and the rest of your body.
- Eat a balanced diet and drink an adequate amount of water.
- Exercise regularly.
- Get enough sleep
- Never over-exfoliate.
- Don’t skip cleansing and moisturizing your skin before bedtime.
- Don’t use the same hair washing products to wash your face.
- Avoid using harsh chemicals on your skin.
- Ingredients that contain Sulfates such as sodium laureth sulfate and sodium lauryl sulfate should not be applied to the skin.
- Stay away from products that contain mineral oils and ammonia derivatives.
- Avoid using the same towel on your face that you wipe the rest of your body with.
- Avoid eating too much oily or greasy food.
- Avoid touching your face without first washing your hands.
- Don’t smoke and lower your alcohol consumption.
- Reduce stressing yourself.
Well, there is no “one size fits all” approach to skincare and it depends on the specific needs of the individual but we have tried our best to suggest a basic and manageable skincare routine that could work even for busy men-
Daytime skincare routine-
- Cleansing: Start your day with a fresh face. Avoid using soap as it’s harsh for your facial skin and switch to hydrating face washes. Chemical cleansers containing AHAs and BHAs can be used for deep cleansing.
- Serum: This is the step where you can include ingredients that cater to your skin needs like salicylic acid, niacinamide, retinol, vitamin C, etc.
- Moisturizing: This step can’t be skipped. Hydrating your skin is very important to keep the protective skin barrier intact and fully functioning.
- Sunscreen: UV rays can irreparably damage your skin, a high-quality sunscreen is a necessary requirement. It also saves you from skin cancer.
Nighttime skincare routine-
- Cleansing: Cleansing your face with a gentle exfoliator is important to get rid of all the sweat, dirt and oil that has accumulated throughout the day.
- Serum: Identify your skin type and choose ingredients that best cater to your skin condition.
- Moisturizing: Hydration is the key to healthy skin!
Special additions: If you have skin conditions such as dark circles, flaky skin, wrinkles, sunspots, fungal infection, etc, it’s smart to take care of your special needs and include products that could help soothe these conditions. For example: Adding a good eye cream to your skincare regimen can do wonders for your dark circles. A toner could be added between cleansing and applying serum to balance the pH levels of your skin but most men don’t necessarily need it.
A proper diet, enough sleep and regular exercise is a prerequisite to your body’s overall health, including your skin!
- A healthy, well-balanced diet will help you achieve blemish-free, smooth, and silky skin. To replenish your skin, consume antioxidant-rich fruits and vegetables, healthy fats such as nuts, and other nutritious foods high in beta carotene, vitamins C and E, zinc, and selenium. Additionally, avoiding dairy products and limiting sugar consumption has also proven to have improved skin texture significantly. Oily and greasy food should be consumed in moderation or none at all if possible for healthy skin.
- Sleeping is crucial for brighter, healthier skin. Your skin enters into healing and recovery mode as you sleep. During this period, your body increases blood flow and produces new skin cells. Sleep deprivation can exacerbate acne and dark circles. That isn’t all, though. Improper sleep can also cause your sebaceous glands to produce extra oil by raising your cortisol levels. 7 to 9 hours of decent sleep is advised to have glowing, clear skin for men.
- Regular exercise will provide you with healthy, attractive skin. It strengthens your skin and prevents it from aging and other issues. Working out boosts blood flow, removes toxins, feeds the skin with essential nutrients, and encourages collagen formation. Working out may also assist you in relaxing, which is beneficial to your skin.
- Deconstruct’s Hydrating Face Wash with Hyaluronic Acid and amino acids can gently cleanse the dirt off the face, leaving the skin hydrated.
- Deconstruct Brightening Serum with 10% Niacinamide + 0.3% Alpha Arbutin With 0.3% of Alpha Arbutin, this serum is another great option for getting rid of hyperpigmentation. 10% Niacinamide helps soothe the skin while moisturizing it.
- Deconstruct Clearing Serum with 2% Alpha Arbutin + 5% Niacinamide This serum is not only effective in treating the dark skin on the neck but can also tackle other skin problems like uneven skin texture, dryness, fine lines and dullness and is suitable for all skin types!
- Deconstruct Exfoliating Serum with 18% AHA + 2% BHA (Salicylic Acid) This unique exfoliating serum with a potent combination of 18% AHA and 2% BHA can help tackle multiple skin concerns. The AHA exfoliates the dead skin cells away leaving behind a bright complexion, while the BHA unclogs the pores and purifies the skin deeply.
- Deconstruct Hydrating serum with 2% Hyaluronic Acid + 1% Niacinamide– This unique serum combines two of the best ingredients for dry skin. With 2% Hyaluronic Acid and 1% Niacinamide, the serum has a mild formula that will be well tolerated by all skin types alike. It hydrates while repairing the skin barrier.
- Deconstruct Brightening Moisturizer with 5% Niacinamide + 1% Kojic Acid This moisturizer with a unique formulation combines two potent ingredients to deliver instant results for the skin. Niacinamide protects the skin from damage while Kojic Acid acts as a tyrosinase inhibitor and tackles hyperpigmentation.
- Deconstruct NMF Hydrating Moisturizer– NMF skin cream is a lightweight daily gel moisturizer that hydrates, nourishes and calms skin. Enriched with Natural Moisturizing Factor Complex (NMF) that mimics the skin’s natural NMF, helps to maintain adequate hydration in the barrier, without giving the oily feel and strengthens the skin barrier.
Men face a variety of skincare issues, including post-shave discomfort, razor rashes, obstinate blemishes, dark spots, and acne. As a result, it’s just as vital for men to understand their skin type and accordingly choose the products that are best for them. The most critical steps in any skincare routine are exfoliating, cleaning, and moisturizing. To avoid sun damage and obtain healthy, beautiful skin, men must wear broad-spectrum sunscreen. Eating a balanced diet, drinking plenty of water and getting enough sleep are essential for skin health and should never be overlooked.
- Do men really need a skincare routine?
Yes! As long as men have skin, a skincare routine is a must! Proper skin care could improve your skin texture and help boost confidence and self-esteem.
- Which serum should I use to brighten my skin?
Vitamin C is the most popular choice when it comes to skin brightening. Other facial acids like lactic acid, glycolic acid, etc are good for treating dull skin too.
- Which ingredient should I look for to cure dry skin?
Hyaluronic Acid is a must when it comes to dry skin! Look for this magic ingredient in your skincare products and it would do wonders for your dry skin! An alternative choice would be Niacinamide and Glycerine.