Liquorice isn’t just for your sweet tooth, it is a popular skincare ingredient which might be the solution to many of your skin woes. Licorice has many benefits for the skin and can be helpful in treating multiple skin conditions. Read on to find out everything you need to know about this wonderful ingredient.
The extracts derived from the root of the Glycyrrhiza glabra, better known as the Licorice plant, comes with a multitude of benefits and is extensively used in skincare due to the same. It contains many chemical compounds, including Glycyrrhizin which has antioxidant, antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties, Glabridin which is a tyrosinase inhibitor, Liquiritin which helps to disperse melanin and Flavonoids which are potent antioxidants, amongst many others.
Here are some of the benefits of licorice for skin-
- It has antioxidant properties.
- It has skin lightening properties.
- It inhibits the action of tyrosinase and is effective against hyperpigmentation.
- It has anti-inflammatory properties which may be effective against acne.
- It may control sebum production.
- It has a brightening effect on the skin.
- Hyperpigmentation- Licorice root extract helps treat hyperpigmentation by reducing the production of tyrosinase which results in decreased melanin synthesis.
- Inflammation- Licorice root extract contains compounds called licochalcone A and flavonoid which have anti-inflammatory properties.
- Acne- Licorice root extract may help regulate oil production. Excessive oil may be a cause for acne, by controlling the oil production, Licorice root extract may help treat acne.
- Dullness– Licorice root extract has skin brightening and anti-oxidant properties which can help tackle dullness and improve uneven skin tone.
- Dark spots- Dark spots are formed when excess melanin gets accumulated in one place. Licorice root extract has a compound called liquiritin which can cause the melanin to disperse resulting in a spot free complexion.
We’ve all heard of our mothers and grandmothers using a concoction of Licorice powder and other skin ingredients for skin brightening. But is that the only way to use Licorice and utilise the many benefits of licorice for skin? Nope, absolutely not! While this age-old tradition of using Licorice in a powdered form is one of the ways to Licorice, there’s many more effective ones thanks to the increasing array of brands including this mind-blowing ingredient in their products. Licorice root extract can be used through your serum or moisturiser which allows it to stay on the skin longer and work much effectively. They can be used every day, both at night as well as in the morning. As with using any skin lightening ingredient, using sunscreen while using Licorice root extract (or even while not using it) is essential. Sun damage could undo any benefits Licorice root extract offers. Licorice root extract can also be used in washable formulations such as face washes or face masks.
Now here comes the best part about Licorice root extract, it’s an ingredient that’s suitable for most skin types. It’s the perfect choice for anyone looking to treat dark spots, sun damage and hyperpigmentation. It’s also a safe option for anyone looking to treat chloasma.
Liquorice root extract pairs well with Niacinamide and Vitamin C, creating a powerhouse combo to deliver intense brightening effects. Liquorice root extract also works wells with moisturising ingredients such as Glycerine, Vitamin E and Hyaluronic Acid to provide hydration while brightening the skin.
Avoid using Liquorice root extract with retinol and hydroquinone as using these ingredients may result in irritation. Hydroquinone and Licorice are both skin lightening ingredients, inface licorice can be considered as a safer and natural alternative to it. Also, both retinol and hydroquinone are harsh ingredients and it’s best to avoid using Licorice in combination with these two ingredients.
Licorice Extract is a gentle ingredient with no major side effects. Having said that, it may result in skin irritation when used with ingredients that aren’t suitable for you. Be mindful to check any formulations with Licorice root extract for other ingredients that don’t suit you well.
Niacinamide Brightening Face Wash with 2% Niacinamide and 2% Liquorice root extract has an innovative formula which brightens the skin while cleansing away the impurities. The Niacinamide in the formula prevents the skin from getting stripped of moisture and in combination with Licorice provides a brightening effect.
Licorice root extract is an excellent natural alternative to other skin lightening ingredients available in the market. It offers many benefits with minimal side effects. Include this ingredient in your skincare routine and see the results for yourself!
- How often can you use Licorice root extract?
Licorice is a safe ingredient which can be used every day, in the morning and at night. Just make sure to not skip on sunscreen while using this ingredient.
- Does Licorice root lighten the skin?
Yes, Licorice root extract has a lightening effect on the skin due to the presence of a chemical compound called ‘Glabridin’ which is a tyrosinase inhibitor.
- Does Licorice root fade dark spots?
Yes, Licorice root extract helps in removal of dark spots. Licorice root extract contains chemical compounds called Glabridin and Liquiritin which prevent the synthesis of melanin and helps disperse any formed pigment, respectively.
- Is Licorice suitable for acne-prone skin?
Licorice root extract is generally well tolerated by all skin types, including acne-prone skin.