Wrinkles, loose skin, or sagging skin, especially on your face and neck is a very common condition, mostly resulting due to the natural aging process. With age, the skin loses its ability to produce proteins like collagen and elastin which are responsible for maintaining the elasticity and firmness of the skin, creating a droopy texture on the skin. Although loose skin is a consequence of aging, various preventive methods and remedies could help improve the texture of the skin and help in skin tightening on face.
The loss of skin’s elasticity and firmness could result from various factors which necessarily aren’t health related. Some of these factors are-
- Age- As you get older, there is a subsequent loss of collagen networks, elastin fibers, and hyaluronic acid. As a result, as you get older, the appearance of loose skin and wrinkles on your body becomes prominent.
- Rapid Weight Loss– Losing a significant amount of weight quickly could result in loose skin in various parts of the body including your face. Our skin stretches to accommodate an increased body mass. Over time, however, this can damage the collagen and elastin in the skin. This can lead to sagging after weight loss.
- Pregnancy- Similar to weight loss, pregnancy could also result in the skin being unable to accommodate the damaged collagen and elastin in the skin.
- UV Light Exposure- Prolonged exposure to the sun without necessary precaution could also damage the collagen and elastin fibers.
- Smoking and Alcohol- Smoking and alcohol are very common causes of skin sagging as they hinder the body’s natural immunity and quicken the aging process.
- Use of Harsh Chemicals- Using harsh chemicals or detergents on your skin over time could result in permanent skin damage.
- Certain Medications- Certain medications such as steroids and corticosteroids could cause wrinkling and loosening of the skin.
There are various ways both invasive and non-invasive which could help in skin tightening on face. Some of the most popular ones are:
- Surgery- Getting a face-lift or other surgical procedures like radiotherapy could assist in skin tightening. But these methods are costly and are swimming with risks of postoperative complications while scarring is a sure side-effect. Botox injections and soft tissue filler are other alternatives and should only be performed by medical practitioners.
- Skin firming creams- Using skincare products containing retinoids and hyaluronic acid over time can significantly help smoothen the skin texture and make it tighter. Retinoids increase the proliferation, maturation, and turnover of skin cells while hyaluronic acid attracts and holds onto water molecules. Both of which help in the reduction of the depth of wrinkles, increase skin firmness and diminish skin roughness.
- Retinoids- Retinoids, which include tretinoin, retinoic acid, and adapalene, are chemical derivatives of vitamin A. They promote skin cell proliferation, maturation, and turnover.
- Hyaluronic acid- Hyaluronic acid is a type of sugar that attracts and holds water molecules. It aids in the reduction of wrinkle depth, the improvement of skin firmness, and the reduction of skin roughness.
- Peptides- Peptides are found in living creatures in their natural state. Certain peptides have been demonstrated to improve skin texture and wrinkles by stimulating collagen formation.
Sulfates: Sulfates such as sodium laureth sulfate and sodium lauryl sulfate are harsh, abrasive, and drying compounds that are widely found in cleansers, body washes, and shampoos. They irritate and corrode the skin, leading to increased dryness and the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles with time. Research has shown that sulfates can age the skin.
Mineral Oils- Mineral oils are derived from petroleum and produce a film on the skin, blocking pores and impeding the skin’s natural cleansing function. It can cause acne and irritate and inflame skin if used for a long time. As a result, fine lines and wrinkles become more prominent, resulting in an aging look.
Certain alcohols- Ingredients like SD alcohol, ethanol, methanol, benzyl alcohol, isopropyl alcohol, and ethyl alcohol are drying ingredients that strip away skin’s natural oils and lead to premature aging and irritation.
Ammonia- ammonia compounds such as DEA, MEA, TEA can also produce an overall aging effect.
- Prolonged UV exposure is one of the main causes of skin cell degradation leading to wrinkles and loose skin. Using sunscreen on a daily basis could be a great preventive measure to prevent premature skin aging and thus the appearance of loose skin.
- A balanced diet adequate in all necessary macro and micronutrients is a no-go when it comes to overall skin health. Drinking adequate amounts of water to keep your skin hydrated is also a must. Regular exercise and facial massages can not just help slow down the aging process but also help treat loose skin to a certain extent.
- Keeping your face clean and moisturized is very important. Always use mild face washes to clean your face. Deconstruct’s Hydrating Face Wash with Hyaluronic Acid and amino acids can gently cleanse the dirt off the face, leaving the skin hydrated. This can be followed by a good moisturizer like the Deconstruct NMF Hydrating Moisturizer, which consists of numerous moisturizing ingredients including oils to prevent dryness. Never use skin products that leave your skin dry and flaky.
- Deconstruct Retinol and Peptide Serum– Deconstruct Retinol and Peptide Serum has 0.2% Retinol and 5% Peptide that increase the cell turnover rate and fights fine lines and wrinkles. This serum also helps in tackling acne, dark spots, and pigmentation thus giving even-toned skin.
- Deconstruct Hydrating serum with 2% Hyaluronic Acid + 1% Niacinamide– This unique serum combines two of the best ingredients for dry skin. With 2% Hyaluronic Acid and 1% Niacinamide, the serum has a mild formula that will be well tolerated by all skin types alike. It hydrates while repairing the skin barrier.
Loose skin, sagging of the skin or wrinkles are natural consequences of aging. Prolonged exposure to the sun and regular use of harsh, drying skin products could accelerate this process, resulting in premature aging and deepening of wrinkles and saggy skin. It’s important to hydrate the skin inside and out, drink plenty of water and use a moisturizer to prevent dryness. Hyaluronic acids, peptides and retinoids could help in skin tightening but following the necessary precautions should be a no-go.
- Is loose skin irreversible?
To a certain level, loose skin is irreversible as aging is irreversible but taking necessary precautions and maintaining proper skin care could help in slowing down the aging process and can help reduce the appearance of wrinkles.
- What is the best way to prevent facial loose skin?
Maintaining proper hydration by drinking plenty of water and using moisturizing gentle cleansers and creams can significantly help with loose skin.
- What ingredients are good and bad for skin tightening?
Ingredients like Peptides, Retinoids and Hyaluronic acid aid in skin tightening while ingredients like Sulfates, mineral oils and ammonia can lead to the loosening of the skin.